Croydon Hall is a small Country Estate Hotel with lavish space to entertain 250 guests and accommodation for up to 50 guests. Secluded in the Exmoor National Park within 5 acres of spectacular landscape, this is a perfect location for an idyllic retreat. Complete with up-to-date facilities Croydon Hall is an unforgettable getaway available exclusively or room-only basis.
The Story of Croydon Hall
1000 Years of History
The earliest written record of Croydon Hall is from 1221 where it was reported to have been a farmstead, dating from pre-Norman Conquest times. When local Cleeve Abbey was founded by Cistercian Monks in 1198, the Croydon Estate was taken over as an addition to the Abbey lands, growing the produce consumed at the Abbey.
In the 1500's, Croydon Hall became a family home for Landed Gentry. A plaque on the front of the building from the 18th Century suggests that a Magistrate's Court was held at Croydon Hall and the area become known as Felons Oak, named after the tree used for hanging felons.
The house was significantly rebuilt in the 1800's. In 1907, it was sold to Count Konrad von Hochberg, a German Aristocrat who made many improvements to the property including the Italian Garden.
The elegant period of Croydon Hall came to an abrupt end with the outbreak of the first world war and the Count fleeing back to Germany.
Since then Croydon Hall has been many things from a home for evacuees, a School to a Buddhist Retreat. It has now been fully refurbished and is now an exclusive Country House Hotel.